Would you like to get married in a classic Georgian mansion house? If you answered yes to that, then you might want to consider Hedsor House. Featured in Vogue, Vanity Fair, and Harper’s Bazaar, it’s one of the top wedding venues near London. It’s also an architectural masterpiece in its own right. This grand mansion is filled with the most charming function rooms carefully styled to preserve its period feel. It makes an excellent backdrop for weddings no matter what time of year. Convinced yet? Read on to find out more about this beautiful country house.
hedsor house at a glance
- The property’s architecture is quintessentially English and brimming with sophisticated design characteristics. It boasts of perfectly symmetrical features, imposing grey brick walls and intricate cornices throughout the property. Imagine yourself on the set of Downton Abbey (which unsurprisingly used Hedsor House as one of its filming locations).
- The Georgian house has several grand suites with large windows that allow plenty of natural light to enter the rooms. It lends itself well to natural light photography, making you look your absolute best in all your wedding photos.
- Hedsor House has a spacious bridal suite, perfect for getting ready on the morning of your wedding day. And on the day after you say I do, you can look out from the private balcony terrace or relax in the luxurious en suite marble bathroom complete with a double shower and a roll-top bath.
luxury and comfort at your fingertips
- Its proximity to London means that your guests will find it easy to look for accommodation and also arrange transportation. Besides, they can even fit a side trip to central London to visit the queen! It’s perfect not just for your dream UK destination wedding but also for everyone’s European vacation.
- Hedsor House is only 300 meters from St Nicholas’ Church which makes having a religious ceremony a breeze. It’s easily accessible from the house via the Alexander Drive pathway. Opting for a non-sectarian celebration won’t be a problem. This Georgian house can also easily accommodate civil ceremonies and blessings within its premises.
your own private georgian house
- The Shephard family owns and manages Hedsor House. That being the case, you can gain exclusive private access when you hire it for your wedding. Get married and stay at your own English country home for a day or even a whole weekend if you like.
- The wedding venue is available for both wet and dry hire. You can be as flexible as you like. Whether you want to be selective with the wedding suppliers or prefer to just sit back and relax, you can choose an option that will suit your needs.
hedsor house wedding facilities
- Hedsor House’s domes Italianate villa-style Centre Hall is the most popular space for wedding ceremonies held at Hedsor. However, you can choose from several licensed rooms if you’re looking for something different. If you’re holding a civil ceremony at Hedsor House, make sure you book a registrar directly with Beaconsfield Old Town Registration Office and pay the associated costs.
- You can have your drinks reception or cocktail hour at the beautiful drawing room and boudoir. And if you fancy the outdoors, then extend the celebration to the South Lawn. Breathe in the fresh Buckinghamshire air and enjoy the breathatking view of the Thames Valley while mingling with your wedding guests.
- The oak-panelled ballroom is the perfect room to hold your wedding reception. Its floor to ceiling windows and luxurious crystal chandeliers are enough to provide your guests with a relaxing ambiance during the wedding breakfast. The ballroom can sit up to 150 guests.
hedsor house by the number
- The property has 43,000 sq ft of usable space surrounded by 100 acres of formal gardens and privately-owned parkland.
- Hedsor House has 1 bridal suite and 12 additional double bedrooms.
- The main car park can fit 100 while the overflow car park can fit 50 more.
- It has 5 main function rooms with a capacity ranging from 12 to 200 pax.
sustainability at hedsor house
One thing I absolutely love about Hedsor House? The way it’s being run by a management team that’s committed to protecting the planet! Officially a low-carbon workplace since 2019, Hedsor House uses low energy LED lighting (where possible), in-house reusable glass water bottles in its rooms, efficient waste management, and gas-fired heating systems, and a compost centre.
Here’s a fun fact. Did you know they also produce their own honey? Hedsor House’s wild honey is “collected by bees from the wildflower meadows throughout the Hedsor Estate”. Personally, I think they make great wedding guest welcome gifts!
top photographer tips for your hedsor house wedding
make the most of the light-filled rooms
You’ll want to get your hair and make-up done in the bridal dressing room. But make sure your hairstylist and make-up artist clears the dressing table by the time they’re done. With a clutter-free dressing table and lots of natural light coming from the floor-to-ceiling windows, you’ll get the best bridal-getting-ready photographs possible.
When it comes to timelines, it pays to coordinate well with your wedding photographer and wedding planner. If you allow enough time for your bridal portraits, your photographer has more opportunities to be creative. And because you’re not rushing, your photographer will also have the time to use other beautiful spots around Hedsor House for your bridal portraits.
enjoy the outdoors
Hedsor House has many outdoor options you can take advantage of. So why not consider having your civil wedding ceremony or cocktail hour outside?
There’s the west lawn just outside the drawing room which can be used as an intimate wedding ceremony space. The drawing room’s external door provides a beautiful focal point that can be highlighted with a delicate floral arch. The 6 steps just outside the door also create a little stage for you and your wedding celebrant/minister so all your wedding guests can see you say I do.
There’s also the east garden with the pond area which is perfect for an intimate outdoor wedding reception. Make your grand entrance as a newly married couple through the double glass doors and down the steps into the east garden. And while you’re at it, why not treat your guests to a spring or summer al fresco wedding breakfast (if you’re lucky with the weather)?
hedsor house links
Hedsor House Wedding Gallery
Wedding Venue Checklist
Hedsor House website